History and Mission Statement

MISSION STATEMENT

The mission of the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library is to provide dynamic services that encourage the pursuit of education, information, research, and recreation in an inviting and safe environment.

 

HISTORY OF THE KOKOMO-HOWARD COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY

The library was organized in 1885 as the Kokomo Free Library. In 1905, after building a new library largely funded by Andrew Carnegie, the library was renamed the Carnegie Public Library. From the beginning, the library was governed by the Kokomo School Board, who retained authority until January 1, 1964, when the first library board was appointed. In 1958 the library's name was changed to the Kokomo Public Library. On January 1, 1983, the library was reorganized to serve the eight western townships of Howard County and the name was changed to the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library.

 

The original Carnegie building at 220 N. Union St. was built in 1904 and served until 1965 when construction of the present main library began.  In 2010 the interior of the 1965 building was completely remodeled.  

 

In 1978, KHCPL started its first branch in a strip mall on Center Road.   Called KHCPL South, it operated as a store front until 2001 when the construction of a new branch facility was completed at 1755 E Center Rd.

 

A second branch, KHCPL Russiaville started in an old historic train depot in 1989.   The success of this branch resulted in the construction of a new branch facility which opened in 1997 On Mesa Drive in Russiaville.

 

KHCPL Annex was constructed across the street from KHCPL Main in 2012.  It houses the KHCPL Outreach and the Collection Management Department and includes a bookmobile garage. 

 

Bookmobile Service to the city began in 1959. Service to county residents through a second bookmobile started in 1978.  From the beginning, bookmobiles also provide services to local schools.  KHCPL Outreach also provides delivery services to the homebound, senior homes and the jail.

 

Online web-based services were started in the late 1990’s.